Academic Honors and Awards
- South Dakota School of Law, Juris Doctorate
- University of Nebraska
- Bachelor of Arts, History and Political Science
- Sturgis Brown High School
Admitted to BarAdmitted to Practice
- President, USD Moot Court Board 2010-2011
- Best Brief USD Moot Court 2010-11-Horace R. & Dorothy L. Jackson Memorial Award
- Alan Bogue Memorial Excellence in Legal Writing Award
- Roger & Claudia Baron Scholarship-USD School of Law
- Joseph M. Butler Scholarship-USD School of Law
- MQ Sharpe Scholarship-USD School of Law
- Horace R. & Dorothy L. Jackson Memorial Award-Best
- Brief USD Moot Court 2010-2011
- Dean's List-USD School of Law
- State of South Dakota
- United States District Court
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Personal Injury
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Eminent Domain
- Oil and Gas
- State Bar of South Dakota
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers
- Pennington Bar Association
Nate is an experienced trial attorney with a direct, practical, and honest approach to helping clients navigate through tough legal problems. With millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for his clients, he holds insurance companies accountable to honor their promises and follow the law.
In 2020 Nate became a Partner in Goodsell+Oviatt Law Firm, where he has been a member since 2012. He earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of South Dakota and graduated with High Honors. Graduating with Distinction from The University of Nebraska at Omaha, he holds a B.A. in History and Political Science. Prior to joining the firm, Nate worked as an Attorney Law Clerk for the Seventh Judicial Court in Rapid City, SD, where he performed extensive legal research and assisted in drafting opinions used in various civil, criminal, and appellate decisions.
At the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Nate was a scholarship student athlete in the wrestling program. He was a four-year letterman, NCAA tournament qualifier and a NCAA Academic All-American (4x) 2004-2007. As a student athlete, Nate developed discipline, dedication, and a dogged determination for problem solving in group dynamics. Those skills have been invaluable in helping clients navigate through difficult cases.
Originally from Whitewood, SD, Nate graduated from Sturgis High School. He has lived in Rapid City since 2011, with his wife and two sons. In his free time Nate enjoys camping, fishing, hunting, and spending time with family. In addition, he coaches youth wrestling for the local club, and volunteers at his church.
Nate is a member in good standing with the South Dakota State Bar, the State Bar of North Dakota, and the Pennington County Bar Association. He is also admitted to practice law in the United States District Court for the District of South Dakota. Other professional participation includes Board Member for the South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association and a position on the Board of Governors for the national organization, American Association of Justice (AAJ).
With an emphasis on insurance law, Nate also focuses on property claims, personal injury, traumatic brain injury, birth trauma, and business and commercial litigation.