Academic Honors and Awards
- University of South Dakota School of Law, Juris Doctorate
- University of South Dakota
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Theatre
- Master of Public Administration - 2012
Admitted to BarAdmitted to Practice Law
- Summa Cum Laude, B.F.A. USD 1999
- University Scholar
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Mickelson Scholarship (4 Year Academic Scholarship)
- North Dakota
- South Dakota State Court
- United States District Court
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Attorney Law Clerk for the South Dakota Supreme Court
- Graduate Assistant to Professor Roger Baron, national expert on ERISA and Insurance Subrogation issues
- South Dakota Constitutional Issues, co-author with South Dakota Chief Justice David Gilbertson. Indexing the South Dakota Constitutional Conventions: A 21st Century Solution to a 125 Year Old Problem.
- The State Bar of South Dakota
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
Indexing the South Dakota Constitutional Conventions: A 21st Century Solution to a 125 Year Old Problem, 53 South Dakota Law Review 260 (2008), co-authored with South Dakota Chief Justice David Gilbertson.Legal Presentations
Public Service & Civic Activities
- Legal Research and Writing—2011 SD Paralegals Association
- Young Professionals—Rapid City Chamber
- Chair - 2013-2014
- Vice Chair - 2012
- Community Outreach Committee - 2009 to Present
- Convention & Visitors Bureau Board—2013-2014
- United Way Board of Directors—2010-2012
- Black Hills Theatre Board of Directors—2010-2012
David Barari, Attorney, joined Goodsell Oviatt, LLP in August 2009. He earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of South Dakota and graduated with Sterling Honors. David is originally from Vermillion and now resides in the Black Hills.
Before joining Goodsell Oviatt, David worked as an Attorney Law Clerk for the South Dakota Supreme Court. While attending the South Dakota School of Law, he was a Graduate Research Assistant to Professor Roger Baron, a national expert on ERISA and Insurance Subrogation issues. In addition, David received the high grade in Torts II and Business Associations, and won the 1L Negotiations competition.
David is also a published author on South Dakota Constitutional Law. He, as co-author with South Dakota Supreme Court Chief Justice David Gilbertson, wrote Indexing the South Dakota Constitutional Conventions: A 21st Century Solution to a 125 Year Old Problem, 53 SD Law Rev 260 (2008). This subject matter and "by Article" index to the Journals of the South Dakota Constitutional Conventions of 1883, '85, '87, and '89 indexed the textual record for legal research.
In May 2019, David was awarded the Pennington County Bar Association President's award at the PCBA Law Day event in Rapid City, SD. This award was given in appreciation of David's leadership and distinguished service as President of the organization in 2018.
Prior to Law School, David worked as an arts administrator and performer in Chicago theatres. At Steppenwolf Theatre he assisted with casting several productions including One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, staring Gary Sinise, which won the 2001 Tony award for Best Play Revival. Additionally, he assisted with the successful production, Hysteria, directed by John Malkovich. When the new Lookingglass Theatre was built in the Water Tower Works building, David served as Company Manager. During his varied theatre career, David also worked as a director, dramaturg, stage manager and performer for many Off-Loop theatres, including the European Repertory Company, the House Theatre, and Prop Theatre.
David and his wife, Molly, enjoy their free time reading, hiking, and cooking.
As a member of the Goodsell Oviatt litigation team, David focuses on workers’ compensation and insurance bad faith cases.